Individual units and districts may be eligible for exempt status under 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code. Each unit and district is responsible for establishing its own status as a business entity and therefore should acquire its own tax identification number. For assistance and questions regarding tax issues, Unit and Districts should contact a local tax professional.