The ACBL Board of Governors is composed primarily of five members from each ACBL district. Two of these five members are elected to serve as the first and second alternate district directors and the other three are elected as representatives per ACBL Bylaws. The term of office on the Board of Governors is currently three years, but at all times shall be in accordance with Article V of the ACBL Bylaws. All ACBL past presidents and all past Board of Governors chairmen are members-at-large of the Board of Governors.
The Board of Governors currently holds a regular meeting at each of the three annual NABCs. Special meetings may be called by the chairman of the Board of Governors and must be called upon the written request of a majority of the members of the Board of Governors.
B. DUTIES The duties of the Board of Governors are:
- To receive and review reports of the actions taken by the ACBL Board of Directors at each of its meetings;
- To make recommendations to the ACBL Board of Directors and to receive reports on said recommendations;
- To initiate and/or consider amendments to the ACBL bylaws;
- To ratify changes in ACBL district boundaries;
- To elect the Board of Governors chairman and vice-chairman;
- To approve new ACBL Life Members and Life Masters;
- To consider matters originating at membership meetings for review and further disposition;
- To perform such other duties as may be specified in the ACBL Bylaws or as may be assigned by the ACBL Board of Directors.