Seminars and Meetings at the New Orleans Spring NABC
Beyond the games at the NABCs, members can enjoy educational programs. Here is a listing of the seminars being offered in New Orleans. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please check the New Orleans NABC Daily Bulletin for the location of the meetings.
- Club and Cruise Directors Course
- Technology Committee
- Reception for Club Officials and Teachers
- ACBL Information Fair
- The TAP — Teacher Accreditation Program
- Learn Bridge in A Day?®
- Learn Bridge in A Day?® Instructor Accreditation
- Zero Tolerance Workshop
- Club Director Refresher Course
- Celebrity Speakers
Club and Cruise Directors Course (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, March 10, 11, and 12)
This comprehensive course prepares candidates for directing club and bridge cruise games. Anyone interested in becoming a club director or a director aboard a cruise ship is invited to participate. Study materials may be purchased through Baron Barclay Bridge Supply (www.baronbarclay.com). Pre-register online by February 28 at www.acbl.org/directorcourse, contact Joyce Stone at 662-253-3138 or send an email to email@example.com.
Date: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday – March 10, 11, and 12
Time: 1-10 p.m. Tuesday with dinner break
9 a.m.-10 p.m. Wednesday with lunch and dinner breaks
9 a.m. – noon Thursday followed by lunch break and testing
Management Technology Committee Update (Thursday, March 12)
A public forum to discuss the outcomes from the Jan.6 and Feb.27 ACBL Management Technology Committee meetings. The meeting will feature a summary of the ACBLscore+ project by Greg Humphreys, an introduction of the committee members and a Q&A session.
Date: Thursday, March 12
Time: 3 p.m.-5 p.m.
Location: St Charles Room (41st floor), New Orleans Marriott
Rules of decorum for public meetings will be enforced to ensure productivity and respect.
Reception for Club Officials and Teachers (Friday, March 13)
Enjoy ACBL’s thank you reception for the club officials and teachers who recruit and retain our members. All club managers, teachers and club directors are encouraged to attend.
Free of charge
Date: Friday, March 13
Time: 4:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
ACBL Information Fair (Saturday, March 14)
This is your one-stop shop for ACBL information! All ACBL departments will be represented and available to answer your questions. Please read through the list below and make plans to attend. Coffee and pastries will be served.
- Club & Membership Q&A – Calling all club managers and bridge players! This is the place to get your questions answered about club game sanctions, special events for clubs, regulations, club discipline and most anything do to with clubs. That’s not all! You can also get information on ACBL membership.
- Discipline at the Club, Unit and District Level – ACBL’s disciplinary coordinator will be available to answer your questions about the ACBL’s Code of Disciplinary Regulations (CDR), how and when the CDR applies, and the roles played in the discipline process by presidents, recorders and disciplinary/appellate Chairs.
- Marketing Your Club, Class or Tournament – Come learn more about the ACBL’s newest tool for success – the Resource Center. We’ll show you how to access and customize advertising and publicity templates to aid you in achieving your growth goals. Or come tell us your best marketing trick so we can share best practices with other clubs, teachers and tournaments.
- Tournament Director University Updates and Information – Have you thought about becoming a Tournament Director? Here is the place to get information on how to get started.
- Education Programs – Are you interested in teaching bridge to younger players in your area? Would you like your unit or district to train and accredit new teachers? Find out how the ACBL Education Department can help. Programs include School Bridge, Teacher Accreditation, Learn Bridge in A Day? ® and more.
- Ruling the Game – Is there one ruling just nagging at you? Is there a law you just don’t understand? Here’s where to get your answer. We want to help as many players as possible so please keep it to one question so everyone gets a chance!
- ACBLscore: If you have a question, unsure how to run a report or just need some help learning to use it, your answers are here.
Free of charge
Date: Saturday, March 14
Time: 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
The TAP — Teacher Accreditation Program (Thursday, Friday and Saturday, March 12, 13 and 14)
Receive an introduction to the ACBL Bridge Series material and other popular teaching products. Learn modern teaching techniques from one of the ACBL’s premier teachers in this 10-hour interactive learning course which includes three hours of hands-on experience. Learn the business side of teaching bridge and be introduced to 64 weeks of class material and more! There are even techniques to move your students into playing duplicate faster.
Pre-register online here, contact the education department at 662-253-3115 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Fee: $125 (Free for previously ACBL accredited teachers and players 25 and younger)
Date: Thursday, Friday and Saturday, March 12, 13 and 14).
Time: Thursday 1 p.m. – 4 p.m., Friday and Saturday 8:30 a.m. – noon
Learn Bridge in A Day?® (Sunday, March 15)
Move quickly along the initial learning curve. Participants should include true beginners, those returning to bridge after long absences and those wanting to “test the waters” before committing to formal classes. The concentrated course includes both class instruction and coached play. For more information contact Patty Tucker at email@example.com or call 404-735-4779.
Fee: $15 when you pre-register. $20 at the door. Textbooks and door prizes are included in fee.
Date: Sunday, March 15
Time: 1 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Learn Bridge in A Day?® Instructor Accreditation (Sunday, March 15)
This program instructs teachers in methods of administering and presenting LBIAD.
Teachers wishing to be accredited must complete the following two requirements:
1) Serve as a Table Mentor at an LBIAD seminar led by either Melissa Bernhardt or Patty Tucker, and
2) Attend a two-hour LBIAD Teacher Training event presented by Whirlwind Bridge.
Teacher Training will include information on organizing and marketing LBIAD as well as maximizing retention rates, writing effective grant requests and the presentation of the seminar.
Date: Sunday, March 15
Time: Seminar 1-6 p.m. Instructor Accreditation 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. A light meal will be provided 6:00-6:30 p.m.
To register, or if you have questions, please contact Melissa Bernhardt at Melissa@whirlwindbridge.com. .
Zero Tolerance Workshop (Monday, March 16th)
A workshop focused on handling zero tolerance and behavioral issues in club games.
Date: Monday, December 1
Time: 9 a.m. – noon
Fee: Free of charge.
Club Director Refresher Course (Tuesday and Wednesday, March 17 and 18)
This continuing education course for club directors covers updates to Chapters 4 and 5 of the ACBL handbook. Participants must attend both sessions (Tuesday and Wednesday).
Fee: $15 covers both sessions. Sign up at door.
Date: Tuesday and Wednesday, March 17 and 18
Time: 9:00 am – noon, both days
Celebrity Speakers (Thursday, March 12 through Saturday, March 21)
Hear daily presentations (except the final Sunday) by some of the best-known players and teachers at 9:15 a.m. and 6:45 p.m.
Free of charge